Thursday 10 June 2010

Wholegrain spelt flour bread rolls

This is the sixth in a series of posts documenting my adventures with less common flours. Today: wholegrain spelt flour. (Previously: buckwheat flour.)


I gave an overview of spelt in my previous post on white spelt flour. This spelt flour is described as ‘wholegrain’ rather than ‘wholemeal’. If you’re wondering what the different is, there’s none: wholegrain refers to any product using the whole grain, while wholemeal is what you get when you make whole grains into flour. To confuse matters further, Doves Farm label their 25 kg sacks of wholegrain spelt flour ‘whole spelt flour’, and also offer 25 kg sacks of whole spelt grain (not milled into flour).


As before, I made four small rolls. When I cut the first roll open I was a little disappointed, as the texture made it look undercooked. Appearances were deceptive though, and it turned out to be a delicious strong wholemeal roll. Clare however found them a little dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment