Saturday 9 April 2011

Al Fresco

Last summer I was getting one big salad from the balcony a week. It was great and I loved it. I can't wait to get back into the habit this year as the weather warms up and the lettuce becomes an unstoppable force. But we aren't there yet. Fortunately a head of lettuce from Riverford is currently filling in the gap

Partly bought, partly home grown: a new season salad
I'm a believer in big salads. Salads have to fill you, they have to have lots of greens (my favourite part!) crispy veggies, herby stuff and tasty, tasty toppings. Bring me dressing. Croutons are optional. Grains are good. Cheese is decent. Falafel are better. So today's salad was lettuce, spinach falafel, balsamic vinaigrette and a few yums from the garden


French Breakfast Radish, grown under cover
I started some radishes off for an early crop. I put them under a little plastic cloche and waited. Yesterday I peeked under and saw that it was time to eat. I sliced one up for the salad, there is more to come. They took about 6 weeks to get to this point but they are bigger than they would have been without the cover.
Viola, I'm in love with them
I'm continuing my obsession with edible flowers this year. A pack of viola plugs we bought in mid-march has been flowering it's socks off. They look gorgeous, in the pots and on the plate. I also chopped off about two inches of onion stalk for a nice crunch and a subtle onion taste. 

I loved my lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment