Thursday 26 March 2009

Sweetness and Light

My cooking has been taking on a sweet quality lately. And when my cooking hasn't my condiments have. I finally broke down and bought a bottle of Sweet Chili Sauce from Riverford. It's lovely and sweet but still hot. Not at all bland like the supermarket variety. And, of course, 100% organic.

I've been experimenting with how to use it in cooking too. The Asian Marinated tofu recipe (from Vegan with a Vengeance and again in Veganomicon) calls for Asian chili sauce. I used the Sweet Chili Sauce instead. It sits here on a bed of Spring Greens in Garlic and Soy Sauce from Riverford Farm Cook Book. Destroying the name I used leftover marinade instead of the soy.

Garnished with fresh chives from the windowsill and more Sweet Chili sauce it made a deliciously sweet, tasty, nutritious meal. All with organic ingredients.

Last night was a bit of a shambles nutrition wise. Not that I feel guilty about that. I did feel bad about not cooking though. I was itching to get my fingers dirty. So after our chippy tea I made vegan fruit crumble.

Freezer Crumble
for one person

  • around a cup of frozen mixed berries
  • half an apple quartered (I use an edible so eat the other half, and I don't bother peeling)
  • half a cup of sugar
  • half a cup of flour
  • quarter of a cup of vegan marge
With your hand mix the flour, sugar and marge until the mixture resembles a course sand.

Put the apple and berries into a decent sized ramekin (I've seen a tea cup too but my appetite isn't that delicate!)

Cover the fruit with your sandy mixture.

Put it in the oven at 180 C or 350 F for 30-35 minutes.

When the mixture is bubbling out eat it.


No comments:

Post a Comment