Monday 22 February 2010

Soft white bread rolls

Before Clare overcame her fear of making bread, I used to make potato bread every week (from a recipe in Potato: a celebration of the world's most versatile vegetable). It had a pleasant taste and a soft texture, but was rather dense, even when made with white flour instead of wholemeal. I've tired a few white bread recipes, but until Saturday I had never achieved my aim of making white bread that's as soft as that in supermarkets, but without all the extra chemicals.

Last week's repeat of The Hairy Bakers (currently available on the iPlayer) inspired me to give it another go (recipe here). The result: a complete success (although I had to add a little more flour as the dough was very wet).

Shown below: the risen dough before being knocked back, the rolls before rising, and the rolls after cooking (they are meant to join together).





No comments:

Post a Comment