Monday 2 August 2010

Evaporated milk creamy chocolate pudding


I recently inherited six tins of evaporated milk. Evaporated milk is, as the name suggests, milk from which much of the water has been removed — not to be confused with condensed milk, which has sugar added and no so much water removed.

Unsure what to do with so much evaporated milk, I turned to Google and quickly found NestlĂ©’s VeryBestBaking.com site, which helpfully has a page of evaporated milk recipes. Unfortunately the site is a little buggy (several of the recipes apparently take 0 minutes to prepare and 0 minutes to cook), and the recipes are in cups (I find grams much more practical, but that topic is a post in itself).

I decided to start with creamy chocolate pudding. As you can see below, it wasn't entirely successful. Fortunately the lumps didn’t spoil it too much, and the end result was very rich and very filling.

[Edit: The lumps were caused by failure to make the cornflour into a slack - a mixture of equal parts water and cornflour (which feels very strange when stirring as it forms a non-Newtonian fluid). The slack should then be poured into the saucepan while stirring continuously. Thanks to those who pointed this out in the comments.]



3 comments:

  1. I am so going to make this. I just opened a can of evaporated milk, then didn't need to use it. Thought, I could maybe make pudding with this!, and voila, found this website. I'm the first comment after 2 lonely years. Oh, well...Now just to address that pesky cornflour issue: I find if one first mixes the cornflour with a little bit of the liquid ingredient in a separate bowl until smooth, and then mixes the moistened cornflour into the rest of the liquid, it keeps things smoother. And/or one could stir all the dry ingredients together first (ie the sugar, cocoa, and salt), then add the liquid ingredients gradually to keep it smooth as you go.
    Just some hints for anyone scared of cornflour lumps. In any event, it's bound to taste good, lumps or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, to clarify, I meant to include the said 'cornflour' along with those dry ingredients that get mixed together first, before adding the liquids. In case you didn't figure that out. Don't want to confuse anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... just a quick comment... I love cooking with corn flour (corn starch), and use it to thicken many of my sauces. The secret is to mix it with cold water and whip it with a fork until it is mixed well. Then add it to your boiling liquid slowly while continuously stirring.
    One trick I've found to rid myself of lumps in my sauces... is to just hit it with a hand mixer until smooth. I've saved many gravys and sauces this way.
    Good luck and thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete