Monday 7 March 2011

Fairtrade Fortnight: Golden Syrup and Parkin Adventures

Sundays are just awesome, even more so when Time Team is on because something about Time Team demands a big heart meal followed by a beautiful cake. Okay so this is probably one of those associations that my brain comes up with that is hard to explain to anyone else but trust me Time Team on a Sunday afternoon requires hearty food and cake.


What better excuse to showcase another Fairtrade ingredient from our pantry. We switched over to Rayner’s golden syrup from the more traditional tinned kind. Cynics may think that, in my case at least, this has more to do with my need for jam jars than it's organic, fairtrade credentials. They would only be slightly wrong. Yesterday I used it in Parkin. I'm toying with veganising the recipe from our new bible Cakes (River Cottage Handbook) I've had good, but not perfect results so far and I'll let you know as soon as I perfect the recipe. We also use this syrup in Stephen's Praline Cake. We get it from the Occombe farm shop but a quick google shows it's on sale at Goodness Direct.   

No comments:

Post a Comment