Tuesday 1 March 2011

Fairtrade Fortnight: Scones

Balance foods make a Fairtrade Rice Milk that is my favourite non-dairy milk. I use it often in baking. After the break is my recipe for vegan scones made with rice milk. We top them with chocolate spread (not vegan), jam or marge. This recipe is adapted from one we used in the kids cookery club at Occombe farm.





Scones with Fairtrade Rice Milk
(makes anything from 4 huge ones to 12 little ones depending on your cutter)

225g of plain flour
50g of margarine
100ml of Fairtrade Rice Milk
25g of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
a pinch of salt

Pre heat the oven to 200 C

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in your mixing bowl.

Just Like Breadcrumbs... sort of

Add the margarine to the flour and rub in with your fingers until it has an even, breadcrumb like consistency.

Then mix in the sugar and the milk until it comes together as a dough.

You don't need to use a rolling pin, unless you particularly fancy washing up one later, just pat the dough down onto a floured surface until it's around 1 or 1 1/2 inches thick.

Cut out your scones!

Cut out your circle/s. Because I used my largest cutter here I only had one scone to do at first. Don't worry though! Just scoop up your leftovers, squish them together, pat it down and cut again. Keep going until you run out of dough. 


Place on a baking tray and wash the tops with more rice milk. Bake for 10 (for tiny ones) -15 (for huge ones) minutes, until slightly golden.

Then you can eat them. I'm not going to get into the fierce rivalry between Cornwall and Devon over the correct scone eating etiquette. I don't like clotted cream anyway. I favour a good chocolate spread, Stephen likes jam.  

No comments:

Post a Comment