Thursday 13 October 2011

I Bought A Book: Hearty Vegan

So I was going to blog about sharing food today but I doubt anyone wants to share food with me right now, I have a bad cold and I've spent most of the day trying to sleep it off. So instead I offer you a review of Hearty Vegan and we'll get back to the theme on Monday, when I don't feel like death. Hopefully.

So I bought Hearty Vegan Meals For Monster Appetites because I have one hell of a monster appetite. I love to eat and coming from the north large servings of filling foods is how I was brought up. I don't have a small appetite and I don't do small portions so if I see a book called Hearty Vegan Meals For Monster Appetites, I'm going to buy it.





I must have flicked through it at least a dozen times since I bought it, listing ingredients to buy and trying to persuade Stephen that I won't kill myself trying to make Funnel Cake (Funnel Cake!) and, of course trying out a few new things. The first got eaten without me taking a picture although I used the same dough for the bun here. The White Panini Rolls bridge the gap between the type of bread I like, super crusty, and the type of bread Stephen likes, sickly soft. They are flavourful with a good, lofty crumb and a crust that is soft while still giving you something to sink your teeth into.

Munch Time!
Then, as I had some of the TVP Peperoni on hand from experimenting with The Complete Guide To Vegan Food Substitution I thought I'd give a go to the Crispy Pepperoni Bites. I ate these so fast I can barely remember them! They where delicious: nice crispy crust, totally saucy and fabulously spicy from the pepperoni. I must take these to every occasion.
Yes dear, that's tofu

The latest thing I made was the Tofu Jerky... it's wow. It has a long cooking time and with all those smells from the marinade it was more like foreplay. They entire thing smelled so good when I was cooking it that I knew something special was coming. Fresh out of the oven it was just like baked tofu with a yummy marinade but when it had been left to cool the flavour soaked through and the tofu firmed up and... well look at the picture. It was fabulous. I paired it, as suggested with the Spinach Pesto but I had to wrap mine as I was low on bread that day. Those Panini Rolls just go too fast. It was sublime though. Perfect lunch.

If you want to impress or fill yourself up good you can't go too wrong with Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites it's the type of book you want to ask to marry you.



No comments:

Post a Comment