|Little bites of flavour|
Swiss Chard Pakoras
(makes 9 small)
1 packed cup swiss chard
1/2 cup of chickpea flour (also know and gram or besan)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garam massala
1/4 teaspoon pomegranate powder
a pinch of salt
1/3 cup water
Oil for shallow frying (I like groundnut, sunflower or vegetable)
1. Chop the chard into thin slices, try for about 5mm
2. Except for the chard put all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together.
3. Add the water to the dry ingredients and whisk in. When you have mixed the batter add the chard, distributing evenly.
4. Cover the base of a frying pan with 50mm or so of oil and heat to medium hot. To test the oil is ready for frying add a dropp of the batter, if it bubbles instantly it is ready.
5. Drop the batter into the mix a table spoon at a time. You should have enough batter fro around 9 small disks.
6. After 3-4 minutes the bottom should be solid and brown, flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes until both sides are done
7. Serve instantly.