Sunday 8 January 2012

Camomile and Oat Bath Soak

Generally the advice for eczema is to minimise baths and showers. I do find though that eventually build up from all my potions and lotions is just as irritating to my skin as being dried out in a shower.

One solution is a bath filled with things that are kind and gentle and soft on your skin so you get moisturised while washing off the built up gunk.

I've been tinkering with a couple of recipes, throwing together bits from two places in particular. I've melded this from recipes in A Year of Grow Your Own Drugs and The Ultimate Natural Beauty Book.

The camomile is great for sensitive skin and oats are a brilliant emollient. The bicarbonate of soda softens the water making it lovely and silky.

All it is:
4 tablespoons dried camomile
8 tablespoons oats
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda

I like to make this in a coffee grinder, mixing everything together. A blender or mortar and pestle also work. After it's good and mixed I store it in a clean jam jar tossing it into the bath three or four tablespoons or so at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment