Tuesday 17 January 2012

Home Made Hair Gunk

Our trip ever so slightly east last week involved plenty of swimming. At least messing about in a swimming pool which is really my favourite part of swimming. And unlike my dip in the healing pool at Chalice Well this was a fully heated, chlorinated and sometimes indoor experience. The chlorine cleared up some of my more annoying patches of eczema but it really did a number on my hair, reducing it to something with the strength and flexibility of uncooked spaghetti.

Infusing my fresh, home grown herbs
I came across a recipe for Enriching Hair Treatment Gel in Grow Your Own Drugs: A Year With James Wong  which is intriguingly based on xanthan gum. I thought I'd give it a go and document the process for your (although, honestly, mostly for my own) amusement. It was fun to whip up the gel and I let it soak in while reading The Complete Claudine in the bath. It felt exactly how it looked, especially when still warm, so that was slightly disconcerting but as my hair is now pleasantly moisturised I'm not complaining.

Process pictures, including me in a charming shower cap, after the jump.




Herbal infusion with the addition of Xanthan Gum, not terribly appetising

Herbal infusion whipped up with Xanthan Gum, possibly less appetising 

Dignified, as always, I wait for it to soak in

No comments:

Post a Comment