I had a ball of Rowan Colourspun, bought on a whim, intended for a hat. I wanted it to be a good, plain, everyday hat with enough room to accommodate my hair if it's twisted into a French roll or a Gibson roll. Something for walks, gardening and days when it's too cold for a jaunty beret.
Like last weekend
I decided to make Barley by Tin Can Knits. The yarn is best knit at a gauge smaller than the pattern calls for so I used that gauge and knit the largest size. I can't remember most of the knitting on this hat so I certainly can't remember why (I'm betting it was because I was tired) but I ended up working reverse stocking stitch in the garter stitch section. I realised my mistake on the crown decreases so let it stand.