Tuesday, 1 April 2014

John Arbon's Spring Clean, Part 1: Every Heroine Needs A Cape

This weekend we were lucky enough to be given a lift up to the Spring Clean at the wonderful mill that is home to John Arbon Textiles. The mill is in North Devon, just over an hour from us and it was such a treat to go see them in action. Also there was a fabulous vegetarian quiche.

The whole reason I knew about the Spring Clean is because I'd made an order with them at the start of the month. I wanted something special to knit a small shawl or a cape from so I could wear it to my brother-in-law's wedding. I'd bought a single skein of four-ply at Purl (as usual) but a shawlette seemed too informal. I was in a fashion crisis when I came up with the idea of combining Ysolda's Emily Capelet and Exelana 4-Ply.

I chose Exelana 4-Ply because it was especially designed to have a vintage feel. The fact that it was local was also very exciting. I didn't quite expect something so lovely to arrive though. To tell you why this yarn is so lovely I'll have to start with the sheep. It's 70% Exmoor Blueface which is a cross between the Exmoor Horn and the Blueface Leicester. The other 30% is Blueface Leicester. This gives the yarn a unique lofty, springly awesomeness and a lustre that has to be seen to be believed.

I pressed myself to get the capelet done before the wedding, almost hating the knitting with all the rushing about, and had it done two weeks early. Just in time for it to go 'home' to the mill. I felt amazing wearing it, it was even complimented by knitters so you know it has to be good.

And about those three bags full up there. Yes, that's all yarn and fibre. We'll get to that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment