Sunday 28 February 2010

Seedy Saturday

I feel like a real blogger now. I did one of those things that I've always read about. I seed swapped.

We turned up at the event and paid our £1 each. We were told the rules. Seeds are available for a 50p donation. After explaining that I'd brought some to swap we were told the swappers rules: just put down a comparable amount of seeds to the amount you take.

It made Stephen kind of nervous. What if someone saw us do it in the wrong order and thought we where stealing? In truth nobody asked us anything. At all. It kind of felt like intruding on a private members club where you don't get a look in unless you already know everyone. But I'm not the least neurotic person on the planet so take that with a grain of salt.

I was over generous with my comparable amounts and for my seeds I swapped Japanese Parsley, Rue, Kale and some Climbing French Beans from this allotment. Stephen picked them up first and I'm glad. Left to mature it means we will have grown our own haricot. Which is cool. Although I hardly ever use haricot. My gardening eyes are bigger than my belly.

So now all that's left to do is wedge these (rather forcefully by the looks of it) into my planting calender. We had a nice day out in Totnes but perhaps next year we might want to think about putting something together closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment