Sunday 28 November 2010

Pav Bhaji: A Complete and Total Yum

One day, early for a meeting, I was walking around Exeter and went into a wonderful Indian market. The type of place I want to move in across the road from me. Fresh fruit, vegetables, dry stuff, packets of crisps, cleaning supplies. All in a continent local package. The type of place that makes me wonder why I don't live in a city any more. Of course I couldn't do my full weekly shop on that brief visit but I filled my handbag with some harder to find pulses and a box of this: Pav Bhaji Masala.


Pav Bhaji Masala is the magic ingredient that turns a pan of vegetables into a seriously saucy, seriously spicy curry served on a roll. Yep, on a roll. It's bread, and curry. Not just any curry, a decadent, deeply and richly spiced one with more than one portion of your daily veg in. Then you put it in a roll. I can't get over that, it's genius. It makes a tasty, fairly healthy, totally filling meal.


I served mine on a roll that was left over in the freezer, lightly toasted, and then decided I wanted more and went back to the pan with a piece of sliced bread. I'm still very excited because I have three portions of leftovers in the freezer. I have a couple of recipes in my Indian Cookbook collection and there is one on the box but I picked the one in Miss Masala to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment