Another impressive spread was put on last night this time by the One Planet Food team at Occombe Farm. Plenty of snacks where provided along with two soups from the garden - spiced squash and leek and potato - and plenty of fabulous hand made breads. The table was even more impressive as far as we were concerned because every vegetable used, except for the carrots, came straight from the garden that we've been working on all year.
We watched a slide show towards the end of the evening that brought across just how much work was done. Was saw the year in 5 minutes and it made us appreciate just how much has been done, this year, to get the pig field into a functioning vegetable garden. There's now a clay oven, two poly tunnels and god knows how many plants. It's very, very cool.
To say thanks for letting us join in I brought two dishes: The Pumpkin Pie Brownie from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (a little squished in transit but delicious) and some Spinach and Pine Nut Parcels of my own invention:
Spinach and Pine Nut Parcels
1 bag of spinach (about 200g)
One clove of garlic, lightly crushed
½ cup of pin nuts
Half a pack of filo
Olive Oil (lots)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and lightly oil a 12 hole tart tray. You could also use a shallow muffin tray but it’s not as fun to type.
- In a large saucepan heat a tablespoon of olive oil and add the garlic. When everything starts to smell of garlic add the spinach and a tablespoon of water. Let it wilt.
- Take the spinach and pop it into a food processor along with the pine nuts. Roughly pulse.
- Next take the pastry. On a chopping board put one sheet of filo. Brush with oil and put another sheet on top. Brush with more oil and put a third sheet on top. (make sure to keep the other sheets moist, you’ll need them later)
- Cut into 12 squares and lie them over each hole of the tart tray.
- Put about 2 teaspoons of filling into each hole and crinkle the edges up slightly so you can just see a little bit of green.
- Cook for 15 minutes. There should be enough filling left for a second batch so while it cooks sit back, have a drink and relax before doing it again.