Thursday 10 November 2011

All Because Someone Mentioned Orzo

Twice now orzo has been mentioned by two different people in two different circumstances and so I think I was meant to eat this.

Orzo. First this recipe for Tempeh Orzilla  pops up on the PPK blog then I have the 'it's a pasta that looks like rice' conversation with Stephen in the Supermarket. So home it came. Like I said, I was meant to eat this. However getting hold of Tempeh isn't as easy. It's an hours bus journey before I can get the good stuff and with my weekends once again booked solid it's going to be weeks before I can manage that.
So is it a pasta or is it a rice?

What I do have are some ripe tomatoes, a leftover bag of parsley some olive oil and some garlic. Combined with the orzo this makes a lovely, lovely dish. The pasta is pure comfort while the tomatoes and parsleygive it a lift. Not to far though, it's almost winter after all.

Orzo with Tomato and Parsley
(serves 1)

4 medium tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
1 heaped tablespoon of parsley
1 finely chopped clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
About 100g of orzo

1. Start cooking the orzo according to the package directions.

2. Heat the oil in a saucepan to a medium heat and add the garlic, cook for a minute or so

3. Add the tomatoes and cook. I like mine cooked until water is well and truly released and the skin is softened. That took about four minutes. But go with what you like best.

4. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the parsley. Cook for a minute and turn of the heat. Stir through again and season to taste.

5. When the pasta is done drain it off and mix it up with your tomato and parsley.

6. Eat!

1 comment: